Oh, if only tightening your thighs came down to performing a few targeted exercises. Whether it’s for bikini season or so you can simply wear shorts again with confidence, tightening up your fatty and loose thighs requires a combination of strength training exercises and regular cardio. Strength training will tone the underlying muscles surrounding the knees and thigh bones.
If you are new to exercise, practice strength training exercises only with your own body weight. As you grow stronger, consider holding on to light dumbbells to increase the intensity of each exercise.
Target your quads, glutes, and hamstrings. Start off by placing your feet about shoulder width apart. While keeping your balance, sink your butt down in a sitting position at 90 degrees. While squatting at 90 degrees try to have majority of your weight on your heels. When squatting back up, push off your heels back to the standing position. If you are at home I suggest doing 3×25.
Target your quads, glutes, and hamstrings as well. While performing this exercise, you can either do walking lunges while alternating legs or static lunges in place. If your doing walking lunges, I suggest doing 3-4 sets of 25 yards. If you are doing static lunges, perform 3×25 on each leg.
Ball Leg Lift:
- Get into the side lying position.
- Place a large Swiss ball in between your feet. Now slowly lift the ball up towards the ceiling using only your hips. Return to the start position. This completes your one repetition.
- Do 3 sets of 5 repetitions initially and gradually increase your repetitions, once your body gets used to it.
As you try to keep the ball in place, your muscles will have to work harder. So in this way, swiss ball makes this exercise a bit more challenging. This will tone not only your inner thighs but your core also.
3. Leg Circles:
- Lay on your back with your legs straight out in front of you on the floor. Place your arms on the floor at your sides for stability.
- Lift your right leg until it is about six inches off of the floor.
- Point your toe and draw five small circles clockwise.
- Switch directions and draw five small circles counterclockwise.
- Slowly lower your leg back to the floor. Repeat with the opposite leg.
This exercise works the legs and glutes, but as you slide your leg back to centre, your inner thigh does all the work. Just use the lid of a plastic container and do this move on a carpet. Or wear socks and try it on a wood floor.
- Stand with your feet a few inches apart, with your right foot on the plastic lid. Make a fist with one hand and cup your other hand over it. Keep your hands in front of your chest throughout the exercise to help you stay balanced.
- Put weight into your left leg, and as you slowly bend your left knee and squat down, slide your right foot out to the side. Then as you slowly straighten your leg, slide the right foot back in. Most of your weight remains in the leg that’s not moving.
- Complete three sets of 10 reps with each leg.
This fun movement is a fat burner as well and it is very good for your heart and general fitness.
How to do:
- First you have to spread your feet beyond shoulder width apart.
- Now place your hands in front of your body and inhale while you go down and exhale when you go up.
- The important point you should note is that you have to push hips back with out bending your knees and folding them towards your toes.
- You can do this exercise for about 10 to 15 minutes.
Side and Cross-Over Lunges:
This exercise will help you to tone your inner thighs as it hits them from different directions.
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart. Take your left foot making a wide side-step.
- Bend your right knee so you push your hips behind you when you are stepping aside.
- Your right leg remains extended as you move your body weight on your left side.
- Touch the ground with your finger tips so your arms on either side of the left foot.
- Return to standing position. Perform 1 set for each leg, 10-15 repetitions.
- For the classic lunges, stand with your right leg forward and left leg back.
- Then slowly bend the knees until both legs are nearly at right angles. Then push back up to starting position.
- Remember to keep your back straight and don’t let your knees extend over your toes. Perform 1 set for each leg, 10-15 repetitions.
Run or Walk:
Running or walking outside or on the treadmill are other great exercises that work your thighs while giving you a cardio workout to burn fat at the same time. Make it your goal to exercise 30 to 45 minutes at least three times a week, including walking or running each time.